Thursday, November 19, 2009

Twisted Tale of my Moustache

I had to travel to nearly half the districts in Punjab, and Ropar was one of my many destinations. I had just finished my meeting and decided to go back to my hotel. I hired a rickshaw to take me to my hotel. Since these rickshaw-pullers were living away from their homes and had come to the city to earn money, I enquired him about a place for home cooked meals. My rickshaw-wala told me about this particular dhaba that was 3 kms away from my hotel. After explaining me the directions to that place, he left. I reached my hotel and immediately went off to sleep.

I woke up at 8.30 in the night after 4 hrs of sleep. My body was aching due to the lack of sleep and food and I had started feeling dizzy. I put on my clothes and decided to walk to the dhaba that the rickshaw-wala had told me about. It was a dark night…even the moon had betrayed me. I looked at the sky and I realized that I had stopped looking at the sky lately. I walked briskly in order to reach my destination. It was a festive season and I was really missing my family. May be that’s why my craving for home food made me walk those 3 kms in such a condition. I finally reached the dhaba and ordered for my food. As I waited for my food I saw a group of truck drivers who were also present there. I suddenly realized that some of them were looking at me. Though my heart skipped a beat, I tried to maintain a façade of calmness. In order to hide my inner emotions I greeted them with a big smile.

One of them then asked me - “How come a person like you who seems to belong to a nice family, is eating food at a place like this?”

This question stunned for a few seconds…I never expected them to ask me such a direct question. “Well, I am traveling to various districts of Punjab due to some official work and since I prefer eating home made food, I came to this place” - is the reply that I gave them.

Hearing this, the other truck drivers who were talking among themselves also joined us. As I struck an emotional chord with my new friends, they wanted to know more about me. They were extremely happy to see how well I had maintained my moustache and went on to explain the relevance of a moustache in a man’s life. When I told them about my work in the field of education, they started a keen discussion on the status of education in their villages. One of them said - “We send our children to private schools to get the best education, so that they can get a government job when they grow up.” Another one added - “We don’t want our children to end up in a profession like ours. We live outside our homes for more than 20 days a month”
We chatted for more than an hour, by which time I had finished my food and it was time for me to leave. And I walk back to my hotel…with a big smile on my face…

Abhineet Singh, Delhi

1 comment:

  1. You have shared a good post. You are lucky that able to travel different place and enjoy
    custom dissertation writing service

    ReplyDelete

INSTA FEED

Pratham Education Foundation

Pratham India is the official blog of non-for-profit organization Pratham Education Foundation showcasing exciting stories throughout India.

Follow

 Follow us on Twitter!   Follow us on facebook!   Follow us on instagram!   Follow us on Youtube!