Monday, July 30, 2018

From a vegetable seller to an Electrician

19-year-old Sudama Mohoto used to sell vegetables and sweets in a weekly Bazaar in his village. He lives in Kolivira village in the Simdega district of Jharkhand. But the money he earned was not sufficient to run his family. 

"Kaam toh karte the, lekin paise kam milte the" (I used to work but earn very less), he says. However, Khemraj, his relative informed him about Pratham's Vocational Training Center at Thetaithangar which imparts training in the Electrical vertical. He had two things in mind when he thought of getting enrolled at the centre.



"Kuch naaya sikhenge aur paise bhi milenge" (I will learn something new, and I can earn money), he says with a smile. Pratham's vocational training centre has provided employment opportunities to many in the villages of Simdega and neighbouring districts. It also has enrollments from the districts of Orissa that border Simdega. Getting trained in the electrical vertical could help these students take up jobs as per industry requirements. In addition to this, it will also help them take up electrical assignments in their village. Presence of skilled electricians in a village will ensure its electrification and maintenance and make way for more development opportunities. 

Sudama harbours similar ambitions for his village, and hence he is happy about the way of teaching at the centre. "I am happy because I get practical knowledge of the subject, and the instructors are very friendly and co-operative. If I do not understand anything, I can ask them more than once", he says. In addition to this, he also likes the fact that they teach English and computers, both essential in this competitive world. He is also happy with the food and the staying facilities at the centre. All this contributes to a perfect learning environment. 

Sudama feels it is necessary to have an exposure of working at different places, before taking up independent assignments. "I am ready to work in any city, but later I will come back to work for my village", he says with confidence. "When I will start earning, I will help my mother in buying things for the house and also buy books to complete my graduation", he adds. 

"Graduation?...", we ask him. "Yes, I am pursuing geography honours and currently in the first year of graduation. However, I will earn and learn, and will apply for leave during my exams", he beams. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

INSTA FEED

Pratham Education Foundation

Pratham India is the official blog of non-for-profit organization Pratham Education Foundation showcasing exciting stories throughout India.

Follow

 Follow us on Twitter!   Follow us on facebook!   Follow us on instagram!   Follow us on Youtube!