Monday, September 10, 2018

The positive transformation in Seema

1.   "Bachhon ko padhana tha" (I wanted to help my children in their studies), says Seema when we ask her why she chose to be a part of Pratham's Second Chance Program. Seema Solanki passed her 10th-grade examination in 2016. She met us at her workplace, a small-scale factory that produces socks at Malviya Nagar, Indore.





Many women become a part of Pratham's Second Chance program as they have an objective of assisting their children in the school homework and overall studies. Though it appears as a short-term objective, it has enormous positive returns in the long run. As children learn with their mother's assistance, a learning environment is created at home. It is then emulated by neighbouring households as more women are inspired to study and help their children in learning. However, apart from all this, the program results in another vital manifestation - the positive change in the personality of these women who pursue the program! Seema has a similar experience to share.

"When I joined the program, I was very shy. I could not talk to any stranger", she says. She then explains to us that her life was restricted only to the house. She hardly interacted with anyone outside the house, except a few women in her neighbourhood. The subjects revolved around the household chores and what children were learning in school. During those interactions, she realised that she should help her children in their studies, and the same brought her to the Second Chance Program. "I am convinced that education ensures a better future and I thought the same for my children", she says.

"Lekin mujhe school chhod kar kafi saal hue the. Isiliye unhe madat karne ke liye main khud padhna chahti thi" (I had dropped out of school many years back. But it was necessary for me to get back to studies, and only then I could have helped them), she adds.

But her family members were not happy with her decision. What is the need for her to attend a classroom? Won't people laugh at her? An older woman like her will write an exam with younger girls? The thoughts of her family members revolved around these points. She tried to convince them by citing her objectives. She also tried to tell them that it is her dream to complete her 10th-grade examination, and she is lucky to have got this second chance in life! However, support arrived from an unexpected quarter!
" The owner of this factory realised what I was going through. He convinced my family members and assured his support in my endeavour", she smiles reflecting a sense of gratitude. As we peep inside, we see many women like her working in tandem and producing socks which will hit the market the next day. A woman looks at her and asks when she would join them. 'Ten minutes' - she gestures with all her fingers.

"It was not easy..", she resumes her story. She admits that she was scared. More than the fear of failure, she had a fear of speaking with others around her. "The teachers sensed this and ensured that I opened up. They made me speak, answer the questions that were asked and also write on the board. I did not like it then, but it eventually made me confident", she says. "I will also mention my classmates - many of them who were younger than me - who encouraged me and made me a confident person in class", she adds. However, the one year spent in the classroom will remain special for Seema for one more significant reason.
"I now realise that my world has changed. Initially, it was restricted to talking to my neighbours and discussing household chores. But now I know many more things around me. This program made me aware of the different opportunities around me", she says.

After passing the 10th-grade examination, Seema completed a course in healthcare at Pratham's Vocational Training Institute at Indore and is eager to explore working in that sector. Just a couple of years back, her world was restricted to her neighbours. However, she is now ready to explore the world of healthcare and has also remained consistent with her objective of helping her children in their studies. We wish her all the best for her future decisions and endeavours. 











  








1 comment:

INSTA FEED

Pratham Education Foundation

Pratham India is the official blog of non-for-profit organization Pratham Education Foundation showcasing exciting stories throughout India.

Follow

 Follow us on Twitter!   Follow us on facebook!   Follow us on instagram!   Follow us on Youtube!