Sunday, November 11, 2018

In school after 36 years!

"Me tyanna business madhye madat karat hote, pan mala swatah kahitari karaycha hota" (I was helping my husband in the family business, but I wanted to do something on my own), Padmini begins her story in Marathi. We are at the Second Chance centre at Koregaon near Satara in Maharashtra, and it is a break from classes. Padmini emphasises that though she helped her husband in the family business, her role was confined to doing ordinary things in the office.



For Padmini Tai, the eldest in the batch, this was not an easy decision. However, there was an urge in her to establish an identity, and do something that would be her's! "My husband opposed this, but my inspiration was my children. Padmini's elder daughter works in Mumbai, while her younger daughter is a clerk in a Bank. Her son studies at Industrial Training Institute (ITI) at Patan. "I felt that I also should do something like them", she says. However, she did not know that she could get an opportunity to complete her 10th-grade examination. It was only when some members of the Pratham team came to her place, she became aware of the possibility.

But she was still sceptical about taking the next step and enrolling for the class. "My husband was not in favour of me studying again. And though I was initially excited, I felt scared at the time of taking a decision. For the first time, I was taking a decision myself. All these years people at home used to assist, and it used to be a joint decision", she says. Many women in Pratham's 'Second Chance' Program face this dilemma. But ultimately, a strong will overcomes fear and confusion and thus begins a journey that finally results in a positive transformation. Padmini has started on this journey this year, and she is excited about it.

"For the first two days, I observed the class to get used to it. However, I liked it. I immediately felt that despite my gap of 36 years, I will fit in. Since then it has been excellent. I am delighted to be here", she continues the story. Padmini spent her childhood in Pusegaon village in the Khatav block of Satara district. After marriage, she came to Koregaon and became so busy with family matters that she could not continue her studies.

"The teachers are very supportive here. My lessons started with revising basic concepts, and now I feel I am on track and I am able to understand what they teach here", she says. Padmini says she is learning a lot from the younger girls of the batch. "The young girls found it difficult to talk to me at the start of our batch. Age was a factor. But in the next few weeks, we developed a friendship, and now we talk to each other like classmates. Whatever is taught in class, they grasp quickly, while we take some time. In such a situation, they then help us understand the concept."

Padmini has opened up and now participates in group discussion and frequently asks questions. The teachers at the centre feel happy and appreciate the change in her. Group learning, they say, has ensured this change in her. In fact, Padmini feels that group learning makes us think and generate ideas, and it has helped us a lot. She is surprised that the subjects she feared in school and later, are her favourite subjects, and she is learning them without any fear.

"Math and English are my favourite subjects, and I can't believe that they used to scare me in school. In fact, I have developed a feeling in me that I can pass these exams and clear my 10th grade. I never got such a feeling when I was in school", she adds. Padmini has decided that she will pass the 10th-grade examination next year, and if her marks are good, she plans to study further and apply for a job. This, she says, will make her a contributing member of the family, and she is looking forward to this day with renewed hope and enthusiasm. We wish Padmini all the best, and we are sure she will pass her 10th-grade examination with flying colours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSTA FEED

Pratham Education Foundation

Pratham India is the official blog of non-for-profit organization Pratham Education Foundation showcasing exciting stories throughout India.

Follow

 Follow us on Twitter!   Follow us on facebook!   Follow us on instagram!   Follow us on Youtube!