Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Ajra Shaikh - a tale of grit, determination and dedication.

Ajra Shaikh passed the 10th-grade examination in 2018, after a gap of 13 years, and with it, she came closer to her dream of studying and what she says in Hindi - "Kuch Karna Hain" ("I want to do something in life.") We met Ajra in December 2017, when she was attending the 10th grade classes at Pratham's 'Second Chance' program's centre in Bhopal.  The Second Chance program provides an opportunity for girls and women who drop out of school due to various reasons and offers them a platform to complete education till 10th grade. Once they clear 10th grade, a lot of opportunities open up - they can study further, or work somewhere (or get promoted at an existed workplace) or even help their children in their studies.



The first thing Ajra shares with us is her childhood. "My studies stopped in 2005, and I got married when I was only 13", she begins. "In fact, my marriage took place much before my elder sister's, and my parents were not bothered to know what my husband was doing for a living." After marriage, she had to adjust to the new house which was a joint family. But owing to the differences with other members, her husband decided that they will live separate. Both of them moved to a new locality in Bhopal, and soon Ajra was to find out that it would provide her with the trigger to change her mind and build a resolve that she would get back to studies.

"I met Rubina, and we became friends. While talking to her, I realised that she was living alone and her husband did not like that she studied. But she chose to follow her dreams and risked living alone. Meanwhile, I used to observe many working women who were independent and also managed their house. I felt that I should also be like them", she narrates. Then once Ajra asked Rubina from where did she complete her 10th-grade studies. "She then told me about the Second Chance program", she says.

The next task was to convince her husband. "He was not ready to listen!" Ajra recalls the conservative nature of her husband who refused to send her to classes as she would have to talk to boys and men. But, there was hope! Ajra found out that one of the teachers at the centre was her sister's friend. She then arranged his meeting with her husband, but despite this, her husband remained adamant. Finally, I shouted, " I will leave you, but I will study!" My sister supported me and even paid the fees.

While leaving the centre, we asked her if she had thought of anything after 10th grade. "No", she said. "I will think and then take a decision. But I am sure I will do something better in life. I have seen women work and in many cases, they are much ahead than their husbands. I begged and quarrelled at home to reach here. And I am sure that this is just a beginning."    

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSTA FEED

Pratham Education Foundation

Pratham India is the official blog of non-for-profit organization Pratham Education Foundation showcasing exciting stories throughout India.

Follow

 Follow us on Twitter!   Follow us on facebook!   Follow us on instagram!   Follow us on Youtube!