Monday, February 4, 2019

The inspiring journey of Geetanjali Sahu

"I studied till 9th grade, and that was way back in 1994. My parents and people around me were of the opinion that I should help my mother in household work and then get married." Geetanjali Sahu narrates her story as we listen to her at her house in Laxmanpalli village, in Odisha's Ganjam district. She smiles at our colleague and tells him in Odiya that she is thrilled that someone from Mumbai has come to hear her story. "But I had the desire to study further," she continues. 



Geetanjali got married in 1999, five years after leaving school. And sixteen years after her marriage, in 2015, she enrolled herself in Pratham's 'Second Chance' program with an aim to complete education till 10th grade. She became a student again after a gap of 21 years! 

"It was not that things were bad. I adjusted well (after marriage) in this house and adapted very well to the household work here. But deep down I was aware that my life was not complete. I was aware that I did not complete my school education", she recalls. "I used to wake up in the middle of the night after seeing myself in a dream where I would be either studying or writing an exam," she chuckles. But in reality, the feeling was of anxiety and worry. What will people say? Geetanjali's feelings and thoughts represented the countless women in the country who wish to change their lives for better but are faced with the primary constraint of what people around them will comment or remark about it. However, in 2015, she witnessed a meeting in her village. Some representatives of Pratham had come to her village they introduced the audience to the Second Chance program. "I announced there that I want to study," she recalls. As she narrates this she thanks her husband, who not only supported her but also resisted the opposition of her father-in-law. The latter was of the opinion that Geetanjali was spoiling the family's honour and hence should not study at this age. At times this friction would result in quarrels, and they would affect her mentally. But her resolve and her husband's support overcame all of these and motivated her to study. Her husband works in Surat and in his absence she had to manage her studies and household work and face the taunts of her family members. 

Gradually she adjusted well to the overall schedule. Despite the gap of 21 years, she adapted well to the Foundation course lectures. "I was in touch with studies. I used to oversee my child's homework, and through it, I was connected to the world of reading and writing", she says. But the thing she liked the most was group learning! "Group learning gave us a different kind of joy and satisfaction. We used to have a discussion, and after a few days, we used to realise that we were now familiar with the concept. That feeling was exceptional." She remembers her class for other reasons as well. "There were younger girls in the class, some even half my age. Their mothers used to treat me with respect as I was a friend of their daughter. Despite the age difference, the overall feeling in class was of friendship, and I liked it", she says.  

Geetanjali passed 10th grade in 2016, and a lot of things changed in her life since then. She distributed sweets, and the first piece went to her father-in-law who happily acknowledged her achievement. "Earlier I used to visit my child's school for the annual day celebration. But I never interacted with anyone. But now I talk to everyone around me. I like this feeling so much that someday I will give a speech there", she says. Geetanjali continued studying after 10th grade and passed the 12th-grade examination in 2018. She is currently pursuing her graduation in Arts, and she will be a graduate in 2021. "Now I help my husband in bank transactions. He is proud of me. Earlier I used to take someone' help, but not now", she says, as her eyes reflect confidence and her voice resembles satisfaction. 

"We live as a joint family. My nephews were happy that I was studying but used to warn her that it is difficult to continue till the end. But I now guide them in their studies", she laughs."I also interact with my other relatives and try to convince them that it is possible to get back to studies at any age." It is heartening to see that Geetanjali is sharing her experience with others and motivating them to learn. After her graduation, she wants to work as a teacher in a private school, and we have promised to meet her at her workplace after two years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSTA FEED

Pratham Education Foundation

Pratham India is the official blog of non-for-profit organization Pratham Education Foundation showcasing exciting stories throughout India.

Follow

 Follow us on Twitter!   Follow us on facebook!   Follow us on instagram!   Follow us on Youtube!