Sunday, May 5, 2019

A checklist of dreams

"I was working as a driver and felt that I should know the details of a car." Vivekanand begins his story as we interact with him at Pratham Institute's vocational training centre in Odisha's Sonepur district. This centre offers training in the automobile vertical, and youth from Boudh and Sonepur districts enrol themselves for better job opportunities, and a better future ahead. Vivekanand is also one of them. He lives in Patrapali village in the Sonepur district.




Both these districts are economically backward, and the reason for this is low literacy and a lack of opportunities in the secondary and tertiary sector. The people here speak Odiya, but many of them also converse in Sambalpuri, a dialect of Odiya. A large population in these districts indulges in small-scale farming or daily wage labour.

"I used to drive a truck before, and my driving assignments took me to different places. I also went to Chhattisgarh once", he says. But that became tiring, and he took to driving cars. That is when he felt that he should know the inner details of the vehicle, and the same brought him to the centre. "The lectures here are motivating, and my confidence has increased", he begins. "It made me realise that I can do many things after completing this course," Vivekanand says that the lecture and the practical applications have made him explore the possibility of starting a garage. "There is no garage in the entire Ulunda block where I live, and I want to fill this gap."

However, the stint at the centre has also made him aware of the opportunities that lie outside his district. It is incredible, he says, that I drove to many places, but this course made me realise that there are opportunities everywhere, and more in cities. "...and that is why I want to work in a big city. Bhubaneshwar is a good option. But my dream city is Delhi", he says with a confident smile on his face. Vivekanand is a regular browser of the internet, and he spends many hours on his smartphone. And that is where he found out that Dubai is a place that has cars in plenty and of different designs. "Before I start my garage, I want to work in a big city, and I also want to visit Dubai", he says.

The course at the Sonepur centre has made Vivekanand aware that there are many unexplored opportunities around. It has made him prepare a check-list which is not only national but also global! We wish him all the best, and we are sure Vivekanand will achieve all that he aspires. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSTA FEED

Pratham Education Foundation

Pratham India is the official blog of non-for-profit organization Pratham Education Foundation showcasing exciting stories throughout India.

Follow

 Follow us on Twitter!   Follow us on facebook!   Follow us on instagram!   Follow us on Youtube!