Monday, May 27, 2019

Mother-in-law's support and the Second Chance Program

"My mother-in-law was the biggest support, and I cannot thank her enough." Nainaben begins narrating her story. As she describes it further, we realise how crucial was her mother-in-law's support in making her what she is today. Nainaben passed her 10th-grade examination in 2017, and she had dropped out of school way back in 2004. But when she decided to enrol in Pratham's Second Chance program, she had to face two major hurdles - her husband and her father-in-law.



But Naina's mother-in-law wanted her to study again, and she had an innovative idea in mind to convince the two of them. "She told my father-in-law that my husband wanted me to study ahead. And she said to my husband that my father-in-law felt that I should complete my studies till 10th-grade. She ensured that they did not change their mind till I wrote my exams", she chuckles. But things were not easy for Naina. She had to adjust her schedule at home and balance it with her studies.

"I changed my schedule completely. I became an early riser and began my day revising what was taught the previous day. It was followed by household chores. But my mother-in-law ensured that I never missed my class", says Naina. However, as studies became intense, and the date of examination appeared closer, her participation at home became lesser. It led to frustration, as both, her husband and her father-in-law felt that Naina was not paying enough attention at home. But again, her mother-in-law acted like a glue and held the family together. She also mentions the 'Life Skills' taught in class and credits the subject for helping her plan her schedule.

Naina felt relieved when she passed the 10th-grade examination. Her parents were agriculture labourers, and they insisted that she should look after her younger siblings, and made her drop out of school. But she got a 'Second Chance' in life twelve years later, and she thanks Pratham and her mother-in-law for the same. With renewed aspirations, she wants to study ahead and help her children in their studies. "I can now operate a computer and a smartphone. It is my biggest gain", she says with a smile.

What next for Nainaben, we ask, and she smiles widely in response. "My husband is a policeman. He once told me that I would never complete my 10th-grade. I proved him wrong. Now, I want to study ahead, join the police force and walk a step ahead", she says. We wish Nainaben all the best in her future endeavours.   



No comments:

Post a Comment

INSTA FEED

Pratham Education Foundation

Pratham India is the official blog of non-for-profit organization Pratham Education Foundation showcasing exciting stories throughout India.

Follow

 Follow us on Twitter!   Follow us on facebook!   Follow us on instagram!   Follow us on Youtube!