Thursday, November 22, 2018

The Library at Kurubara Halli, Mysore

"When my daughter Divyashree started as a volunteer, we did not know our work would expand so much...", recalls Savita as we talk to her about Pratham's library program. We are at Kurubara Halli, a locality in Mysore. Her daughter Divyashree is an engineer and now works, and hence we could not meet her. Her husband works in a college in the city, and she is at home the whole day. Children from neighbouring houses visit her home to read books and solve activities, and it not only keeps her busy but also happy.



Savita was aware of Pratham's work, and she agreed to host the library program at her house because she was keen to work with children. She asked Divyashree to volunteer and chose to be a supervisor. "We mobilised around fifty children in the locality and encouraged them to read. They began to visit our house in batches, and soon it became a daily routine for us", she recalls. 

Kurubara Halli is a locality where families of poor economic background reside. Most of them are daily-wage earners, house-maids, vegetable sellers, milk-sellers, small shop-owners, while a few of them work at the Mysore zoo. Many of these families did not have resources to buy books. Savita felt that they should know what is happening in the world and for that they should be able to read. And if their parents are not able to provide support, someone should do that. "I sensed this, and hence I chose to fill that gap", she says. 

"I have observed a change in these children. Initially, they were not very confident and hence did not mingle much with each other. However, now they enjoy working together. The activities are fun, and working in groups has made them become friends with each other", she says with a smile on her face. 

Savita also points out to a change in the attitude of mothers of these children. "They come to me to collect storybooks and those who are able to read, narrate these stories to their children." Savita further explains that these mothers have formed a network and they talk among themselves about the children's future.

So, how has volunteering for this program helped her? "I am a housewife. However, I did not have time as I was confined only to household work. But as I began spending time with children, I experienced relief from my daily chores and tensions. I also earned a lot of respect from people and neighbouring houses. I feel proud of what I am doing. I wish to continue doing the same and with more number of children every year", she says. 

We wish Savita all the best in her future endeavours.        

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSTA FEED

Pratham Education Foundation

Pratham India is the official blog of non-for-profit organization Pratham Education Foundation showcasing exciting stories throughout India.

Follow

 Follow us on Twitter!   Follow us on facebook!   Follow us on instagram!   Follow us on Youtube!