Sunday, December 2, 2018

"I want to work in Mumbai"

Sandeep had studied till 12th grade and was looking for a job when he came to know of Pratham Institute's training centre at Thethaithanagar near Simdega. The centre offers a course in the Electrical vertical and is making its presence felt in Simdega and neighbouring districts because of the post-course placement. Pratham's team had come to his Basia, his village that lies in the Gumla district of Jharkhand.



The youth in Gumla district is in search of jobs. However, there are many constraints, and one of them is language. Though Hindi is the official language of Jharkhand, people here predominantly speak in Saadri (also called Nagpuri). For Sandeep and many others, a transition from Saadri to Hindi is not very easy. But he wishes to be a part of the transformation the youth in his village (and many villages in the district) want - a shift from agriculture and related activities to jobs in industries!

"I had never moved out of my village, and hence I was scared before joining the course. But I knew I will be placed. Some of my friends were in previous batches, and they are now working in Rajasthan", he says. He talks to them over the phone, and they tell him about their experience of working in a different state, and with a different type of people around them.

"Before coming here, I had some idea about an electrician's job. Besides working for a company, I can also take up electrical projects in my village", he says. The latter is significant because of the frequent power cuts in his village, and with skilled people, the problem could be addressed.

But is he now happy with the course? Is there a change in him? "Yes", he replies, with a spark in his eyes! "I knew the course was good because my friends had told me about it. But I have liked it because of the individual attention I got here. I also feel comfortable because all my questions are answered, no matter how many times I ask." Sandeep is also happy because he has got new friends here, and most of them are not from his village. The experience here has propelled him to dream big, and it has translated into an ambition to work in a city that he has known through the media. "It is my dream to work in Mumbai", he says. "I have heard a lot of good things about the city."

"What will you do with your first salary", we ask him before ending our conversation. "I will send some money to my family, and also buy a good phone for me", he replies with a smile.


1 comment:

INSTA FEED

Pratham Education Foundation

Pratham India is the official blog of non-for-profit organization Pratham Education Foundation showcasing exciting stories throughout India.

Follow

 Follow us on Twitter!   Follow us on facebook!   Follow us on instagram!   Follow us on Youtube!