Friday, April 5, 2019

Balanagamma's new beginning

Balanagamma hails from Lingasugur, a small town in Karnataka's Raichur district. She was searching for a job, and a job-fair brought her to Pratham Institute's hospitality training centre at Mysore. "I did not know anything about the Hotel industry. I came here with the hope of getting a job", she says.



Her father passed away, and the sole income for her house is the pension that her mother receives every month. Hence, Balanagamma's primary focus was to start earning money and contribute to the family income. But now she feels that she has gained something substantial from this course and feels that her decision to enrol here was the right one! "I had an initial worry, but the way of teaching cleared all my doubts. In fact, I know one a few things about the hotel industry", she says.

As we talk to her, she explains that apart from the work techniques taught here, there was an overall orientation of the hotel industry. Everyone from the batch was oriented about the industry, who are our customers, and how to behave with them, the importance of grooming, and how to communicate with others. All her batchmates realised that a Hotel is not merely a place to work; instead, it is a place where we serve our customers. "I was not aware of all this, and after the training, my social behaviour has changed", she says. "Initially, I spoke only to my family members. But now I can speak to everyone around me. My confidence has increased as well." She now likes the faculty members, their approach towards teaching and the overall discipline of the place. According to her, the training here is the reason everyone has become more organised. She also says that this place has given her new friends and the same would not have been possible at home.

Balanagamma is geared up to work in the Hotel industry but wishes to work at a location that is near to her house. "My mother lives alone, and I want to be close to her." She is eager to contribute to the family income and initiate a new beginning in life. With her first salary, Balanagamma wishes to perform a small ritual for the family, buy a dress for herself and a gift for her mother. We wish her all the best in her new beginning.






No comments:

Post a Comment

INSTA FEED

Pratham Education Foundation

Pratham India is the official blog of non-for-profit organization Pratham Education Foundation showcasing exciting stories throughout India.

Follow

 Follow us on Twitter!   Follow us on facebook!   Follow us on instagram!   Follow us on Youtube!