Monday, April 15, 2019

The positive change in Hemi ben Chauhan

Hemi ben Chauhan passed the 10th-grade examination last year. For someone who opted to become a student after fifteen years since leaving school, this was a special moment! She now pursues a computer course from an Industrial Training Institute and is eager to share her story when we meet her at her house. We are at Bhojpara village in Gujarat's Rajkot district.



"I will always thank the lady whom I met when she visited our village", she begins. A woman - an ASHA worker - had come to visit her village. As their conversation progressed, she told Hemi ben that she got this job after passing the 10th-grade examination. "That was my motivation", she says.

"I failed in 10th-grade and seeing no future ahead, my parents decided that I should get married." After marriage, she came to live in Bhojpara and to say in her words she was 'leading a good life.' Unfortunately, her husband died, and it made her think of doing something. As the days passed, she felt lonelier, and a job was her only motivation. But she soon realised that she lacked the basic qualification for a job, and hence completing 10th-grade examination seemed the only way out. "Hence, I thank that woman. It is because of her I decided to enrol myself to the class", she says. And in this way, she became a part of the Second Chance program.

"I was the eldest in the class. And I was the only one who wore a saree", she recalls. Hemi ben admits that it was difficult to sit in a class with so many young girls around her. She also confesses that it was intimidating. And despite full support from home, she wondered if the next steps would be easy. "But I was a regular student. I ensured that my attendance was 100%." As the days progressed, she opened up. Owing to the activities, group-work and presentations, Hemi ben began to gain confidence. Out of them, her favourite was learning in groups. "In a group, you can share your views and also carefully understand what others have to say", she adds. However, the biggest takeaway for Hemi ben was the fact that she could speak in public.

Apart from the computer course, Hemiben takes up stitching assignments, and that is her contribution to the family income. Her father-in-law drives the rickshaw, and her mother-in-law helps her in household work. "Girls of today are lucky that they have supportive parents", she says. "They are more free and confident than us. Hence, I want to thank this program. It made me what I am now, and ensured that there are opportunities ahead."



No comments:

Post a Comment

INSTA FEED

Pratham Education Foundation

Pratham India is the official blog of non-for-profit organization Pratham Education Foundation showcasing exciting stories throughout India.

Follow

 Follow us on Twitter!   Follow us on facebook!   Follow us on instagram!   Follow us on Youtube!